Frequently asked questions
How old do I have to be to start drivers education?
The minimum age to start drivers education in Colorado is 14 years, 6 months of age.
Can I get my permit before my 15th birthday?
No. The minimum age any permit will be issued in Colorado is 15 years of age.
Do you offer the written permit test
At this time, we do not offer the written permit test. The DMV has to be visited regardless to have the permit issued and thus the test will be given and the permit issued in one DMV visit.
We believe our role in drivers education is to equip students with the needed knowledge and skill to pass the test. All of our Drivers Ed packages include an extensive permit test review and practice test.
If I am an Online PLUS student, how do I take the permit test review and practice test?
All Online PLUS students have the option to take a live, virtual permit test review and practice test by calling our office to schedule or by self scheduling through their student account.
A virtual permit test review and practice test is offered monthly and should be taken after completing the online 30 hour course and all corresponding virtual sessions.
When should I start my behind the wheel training with Freedom Drivers Ed?
After receiving your permit fromt he DMV, Freedom Drivers Ed would like students to be familiar with steering smoothly and accurately as well as brake and acceleration control. These skills are best practiced wtih a guardian in a parking lot with minimal parked vehicles and traffic / pedestrians.
We strongly recommend the following schedule for professional behind the wheel training:
First session: after completing 5-10 practice hours
Sessond session: after completing 25-30 practice hours
Third session: after completing 40-45 practice hours
Progression through the 6 hour behind the wheel training curriculum is best achieved if students practice a minimum of 10-15 hours between each session. This allows for proper habit development of taught skills known to lower accident risk.
Students who wait until the end (less than 4 months prior to drive test eligibility date) may be disappointed to find significant scheduling difficulties and increased fees for completing training prior to testing eligibility date.
What is the purpose of spacing out behind the wheel training by 28 days?
We require spacing out the behind the wheel training at least 28 days for two reasons.
1) It provides time for student to practice the skills taught during their training session and form those skills into habits. It is recommended that 10-15 practice hours be completed between sessions. We are not in the buisness to make a fast buck. We value our education and want to partner with parents / students that also see value in training. Car crashes are the number one killer of teens ages 16-19. Training for a license is no different than training for excellence like any other sport or hobby.
2) It allows us to maintain adequate availability for scheduling all current and new students. If a student needs multiple behind the wheel session in 1 month, those sessions are being taken away from other students and thus we have to add sessions to instructors' already busy schedules and that incurs a cost.
Overriding the 28 day period of time between session can be done by paying the overrride fee of $55 per added sessions within 28 days, for a maximum of $110. Please call us first to inquire about availability.
If needing more than 6 hours behind the wheel, please call our office to discuss your unique situation and determining the best schedule for training.
How many practice hours does the state require?
If under the age of 18, fifty total hours will have to be proved to the DMV when applying for your license. Of those fifty hours, ten of them have to be logged night time hours.
After becomming a student of ours, we will guide you on different acceptable ways to log your practice hours.
Do behind the wheel training sessions have to be completed prior to taking the physical drivers license test?
No. The only requirement the state has for drive test eligibility is holding your permit for 1 year from the issue date on your permit.
However, we would strongly encourage you to go through proper training prior to taking your licensing test as training is meant to help prepare you to become the most low risk, safe driver possible.
The drivers license test is not an indicator on safety level. The states standard test is meant to test basic skills.
What is required to complete a behind the wheel training session with Freedom Drivers Ed?
The required items are:
-a valid permit
*(no photocopies, texts, or images will be accepted). By law, the driver has to be in possession of their physical permit or drivers licnese. A valid permit, means that its not expired.
*a paper permit requires a document that proves your identify with a photo (student school ID)
-Restictions listed on permit
*contacts or eye glasses
-Close toed shoes
*We require close toed shoes to limit risk with a student driver.
*No flip flops or sandals
When am I eligible to take my physical drive test?
Under the age of 18 - one year from the issue date on permit
Over the age of 18 - same day as permit is issued or later. No time requirement to hold permit.
Why is there no availabilty showing on the calendar?
There are several reason why you might not be seeing availability.
1) If you have already scheduled the maximum number of sessions you purchased or you have not paid any outstanding balance then you will not be able to self schedule
2) Each session defaults to 28 days between each other. If you have a session scheduled, advance the calendar 28 days after your scheduled session to see more availability.
3) Next months availability has not been uploaded yet and allowed for self scheduling. The first of each month, the subsequent months' availability is available. Log in on the first of each month to see the most availability.
Terms of Service
When do my services expire?
All packages and services purchased have an 18 month contract. Services purchased must be completed within 18 months from the join date.
A contract extension can be purchased up to 20 months of the join date for an extension fee.
All unused services expire without the option of an extention 20 months after join date and thus if more services are needed they can be purchased at current rates.